Stone Soup! (and other fun folk-n-fairy-tale-inspired toddler activities) | Toddler @ Play! // New Games. Activities. Outings. Fun.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Stone Soup! (and other fun folk-n-fairy-tale-inspired toddler activities)

Because of Biscuit's newly discovered love of rocks (which he tries to steal from around the neighbor's mailbox), this morning's adventures took us to our local water garden center. I was hoping they had a few river rocks I could buy for Biscuit to play with, but it ended up being so much more fun than I figured it'd be. The sweet lady at the store let us fill up Biscuit's backpack full of rocks from her giant display fountain bed for $1 - she actually offered them to us free but we insisted!)

For Biscuit, it was like stepping into another world! He saw fountains, ponds, ferns, fish, tadpoles and other great water displays everywhere. So many places to explore and new things to touch! Here are some of the storybook examples of "enchantment" we discovered there!

Biscuit at the Fountain of Youth!?
(I didn't even drink from it but I sure felt like a kid again!)





















Looking for the troll under the bridge (from
The Three Billygoats Gruff)...uh-oh, I guess he found him! Run, Biscuit, run! ;)


Was that The Frog Prince on that lily pad?

Hmmm, I wonder if any of these koi know The Golden Fish?

Of course all Biscuit's discoveries went right along with his latest library book, Made By God. It's fun to enjoy imaginary stories but even more amazing to know there's a real Creator who gave us this world full of wonders!

When we got home I boiled the rocks in hopes of killing some of the algae or other goopies that might be lurking on them, since Biscuit insists on taste-testing each one of them (thus the Stone Soup!) Then we put them all into a little clear box just his size. He loved taking them in and out of the box, clapping them together, rolling them to Curious George and trying to shove them into his shape sorter. I'm sure he'll come up with some other creative uses for them in the days ahead. After that he had to change clothes; he was soaked from playing in the lily pads! :)

2 comments:

6pnuts said...

What can I say? You are amazing me daily! Looks like a ton of fun!
What a sweetie!

the Albino Bowler said...

I see that you have found the kangaroo rodeo and I'm pleased that you've been chiming in. FWhat was it that you liked, or felt like it "got across," as you said? or this experiment, feedback and interaction with curious and insightful writers is crucial. I'm creating a traveler's tale in a virtual environment about subject matter that is completely new for me. I just posted some incredible live footage and I'm about to pick up where I left off with Chef Scary. I hope and expect to hear from you again very soon...
M-