Plush Alphabet Project | Toddler @ Play! // New Games. Activities. Outings. Fun.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Plush Alphabet Project


So, a friend I met through MOPS had a set of super-cute felt alphabet toys for her toddler son. She couldn't remember where she got them and I couldn't find any the same size to buy in a store or online (I wanted them stuffed-toy size not magnet size) so over a vacation I decided to try to wing it on my mom's sewing machine. They turned out passable - not as cute as the originals but they'll do for letter games and early phonics and reading lessons...and just plain imaginative play, which is what little Biscuit likes them best for right now :)


We use them to make some of his favorite words...
CAR, of course!

FROG...


and just for fun, a little rhyming lesson using the "at" words...





All you have to do to make your own set of plush ABC's is get 26 full felt sheets (8.5 x 11) in fun colors. Fold each sheet in half and draw on a big bubble letter to fill each half sheet using sewing chalk or washable marker (a template for the letters adds more hassle...just hand draw them, it makes them "yours!").  Cut out any holes in letters like A, B, D, P, etc. Then sew carefully around each letter outline leaving an inch hole for stuffing (consider leaving two holes on complicated letters like M, X, W); cut each letter out; stuff 'em with fiberfill (use a pencil or dowel to stuff hard-to-reach areas) and sew up the loose ends. Trim any loose thread and there you are...all done! Have fun!

1 comments:

Kimp said...

great idea! I would like to make those for Clara! I made some wee little critters when the kids were small and I didn't cut them out until they were sewn = sew them first, then cut out. It might make it easier. I will try it and see if I have any problems. You are a wonderful mommy!